Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to Set a Job Level with a Schedule without Scheduling the Job?

2009-12-01 18:35:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to Set a Job Level with a Schedule without Scheduling the Job?
From: Clark Hartness <CHartness AT camgian DOT com>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 18:31:09 -0500
Hi Arno,

Thanks for the reply.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Arno Lehmann [mailto:al AT its-lehmann DOT de]
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:03 PM
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is it possible to Set a Job Level with a Schedule
without Scheduling the Job?

Hello,

01.12.2009 17:56, Clark Hartness wrote:
> I know that subject doesn't make a lot of sense....
>
> I have a job that I manually start at the completion of a script to
> backup a list of files on the Client.

Manually meaning you pass something like 'run job=name yes' to bconsole?

>>> Yes we have a smart script that creates a filelist and the crontab uses a
>>> run job echo to bconsole.

> I don't want the job to run on Schedule but I would like to be able to
> set the level of the Job by days following something like this
> Schedule.
>
> Schedule { Name = "test_schedule" Run = Level=Full on 1st sat # Use
> for Monthly Full First Saturday Run = Level=Differential sun Run =
> Level=Incremental on 2nd-5th sat Run = Level=Incremental mon-fri }
>
> This of course runs constantl because there is no "at" time set.
>
> Is there a way to set the level using bacula's scheduler without
> scheduling the job?

No. The only thing the scheduler can do is scheduling jobs. It can't change the
jobs setting depending on the date, time, etc.

In your script, you could set the level as you like, and then do echo "run
level=${JOBLEVEL} job=jobname yes" | bconsole

Getting the first Saturday of a month with bash & date is not as simple as
using Bacula's scheduler, but still not really difficult...
alternatively, you could run your script from a RunScript resource in the Job.

>>> That is what it appeared I would have to do and we have started down that
>>> path.  For testing I acually was forcing a level=Full in this way.
>>> Initially I am going to just do a weekly FULL on Saturday and default to
>>> Incrementals on other days then will work to make it more functional as
>>> time goes on...

>>> Thanks Again

>>> Clark

Arno