BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-13 01:18:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 01:15:55 -0400
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 21:57:11 -0400 on Tuesday, April 12, 2011:
 > "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 04/12/2011
 > 07:36:36
 > PM:
 >
 > > Just as a side point, my plugcomputer + USB drive is so small and
 > > portable that I actually have it located inside my network box.

 > By network box, do you mean something like a NAS?

Actually I just meant a small cabinet that holds my router, switch,
voip box, and associated UPS. So I just plug the plugcomputer into the
UPS, attach a short ethernet cable to my switch, add a USB drive & done!

I have run BackupPC also on a DNS-323 which is an ARM-based NAS with
just 64MB memory and a 500MHz CPU. It works and while the cpu and
memory are slower & smaller than a plug, it has SATA built-in drives
vs. USB drives on a plug.

I also have a more powerful QNAP TS-219 TurboNAS sitting in a box
waiting for me to have time to play with it -- it has 2 SATA drive
bays, iSCSCI, 512MB DRAM and 1.2GHz ARM processor which makes it the
CPU and DRAM equivalent of a plug but with built-in drives rather than
having to use external USB drives.

 > I've actually played with the idea of putting BackupPC directly onto an
 > Iomega ix4-200d.  The Iomega boxes are very easy to SSH into with full
 > root access to the Linux system.  The only thing that has stopped me is
 > that I currently use SATA trays/mobile racks for archives.  I could use
 > USB drives on the Iomega, but it kinda undoes the all-enclosed nature of
 > the backup server if I have to dangle a USB drive off of it...  :(

But dangling a USB drive has one advantage... you can just swap in a
new drive and rotate your backups without even having to
reboot... (note I keep my ssh keys in /etc/BackupPC rather than in
topdir so that I really only need to have TopDir/pc, TopDir/pool,
TopDir/cpool, and TopDir/trash directories to get it all running.