BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-11 07:10:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 18:08:23 +0700
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Saturn2888
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> But none of that solves the issue we're having now. How in the world do we
> backup the current pool of data?

Sorry I haven't gone back to read the whole thread - have you tried
and failed already with rsync?

If you have too many hardlinks for rsync, you can use the script tool
specifically for doing this (backupPC-tar? - sorry I don't have the
name handy from here - or a more recent enhanced similar tool that has
been mentioned discussed here several times - search the archives.

Or clone "below" the filesystem level - if you're unable/unwilling to
take the BPC server offline, then DRDB to a second host (big project!)
or mdadm raid, possibly dd of an LVM snapshot.

If you are able to take it offline, then a partition cloning tool as
just discussed here.

By the way, you keep "breaking the thread" by not including the proper
subject header (with the Re). Maybe it would be better if you actually
subscribed to the list rather than using Backup Central?