BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 19:52:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Chris Parsons <Chris.Parsons AT petrosys.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 09:20:22 +0930
On 13/04/2011 9:06 AM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Just as a side point, my plugcomputer + USB drive is so small and
> portable that I actually have it located inside my network box. And it
> is so replicable that I can easily just rsync the plug flash memory
> (512MB) onto another spare plug, grab a new USB drive, do a quick
> partition, and voila I have a new redundant BackupPC server. In fact,
> I set it up so that the plug on boot looks for an attached USB drive
> mount point and if it exists then it starts BackupPC, if not then it
> does nothing.

This reminds me of how I used BackupPC in an old job that is relevant to
this discussion. The pool and data was all mounted onto an external USB
drive. The drive was mounted via loop - using encryption - so all data
on it was encrypted. After a week, the drive was rotated offsite, and a
new drive substituted. BackupPC saw an empty drive (or that no backups
had occurred since the drive was last active) so would start with full
backups. With 4 or 5 drives rotating off site, we always had 1 week of
incrementals live, and 1 month of incrementals offsite, and the older
backups as well. Offsite data was encrpyted - if a drive was lost or
intercepted in transport it was relatively useless. (Make sure the keys
are stored somewhere securely.)  This only works for smaller pools
(limits it to one drive and usb speeds) But at the time it worked
extremely well - bar any linux usb bugs we ran into - however those seem
to be ironed out now.