BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 22:42:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:40:50 -0700
My goodness that's a lot of replies; although, almost all of them are from a
post I made a while back which I've elaborated on at least 3 times since.

The main point here that I'm trying to get across, at least for my own setup,
is that I cannot handle dd'ing 1TB/day. That would literally take 8-12 hours
(at least half a day) easy depending on network load, and it would cream
available bandwidth. The reason I am advocating DRBD is because I have it going
to an iSCSI target on a machine with ZFS which snapshots the pool. The key
there is I'm taking snapshots of it so even if it corrupts, I'm fine. All I'd
have to do is mount the .img as EXT4 in an iSCSI target and point a client to
that target to retrieve the files. Not necessarily the best idea, but I don't
see pool corruption a big deal because I've never experienced anything like
that. Even so, I've already arranged the necessary precautions, just need a
method of getting only the changes over there without abusing the available
bandwidth.

The BackupPC_copyPcPool script and the tar copy are great for backing up the
pool but both suffer the same fate as dd; there's no method of only
transferring changes of files which destroys available bandwidth and leaves
drives running constantly almost all day long slowing down crucial backups of
machines.

And please note, I did talk about ddsnap as well. While the project's out of
commission, the software still exists somewhere.