BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 21:55:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 21:51:42 -0400
Chris Parsons <Chris.Parsons AT petrosys.com DOT au> wrote on 04/12/2011 07:36:26 PM:

> On 13/04/2011 5:13 AM, Timothy J Massey wrote:

> To slightly expand what Les wrote:  there are 4 realistic options
> (for a very loose definition of "realistic"):
>
> 1) rsync the pool.
> 2) LVM Snapshot/dd
> 3) Break a RAID array
> 4) Run two separate BackupPC servers, both backing up the same server.

> You missed options 5 and 6.
> 5) Run on Solaris or Opensolaris using NFS.

ZFS.

> Make regular NFS
> snapshots (cheap) and send the snapshots to a remote Solaris
> machine. NFS even allows you to send the delta's between snapshots.

This is a superset of 2, substituting ZFS for LVM.  I'm not saying that there aren't further advantages of ZFS over LVM, but it's a variation of #2.

If that offends you, then rename #2 as "Volume/Filesystem snapshots with dd" and put whatever snapshotting technology you want in there.

Remember, you have to get them to another machine, so ZFS or any other snapshot by itself won't finish the job: you then need to copy them somewhere else.  This includes SAN based solutions (though in that case, "somewhere else" might just be defined as a different storage shelf...).

> (Got lots of memory, or a ssd log device? Disable backuppc's pool
> and rely on NFS block level de-duplication instead.)

You can't disable BackupPC's pool.  And if you did, you would no longer have BackupPC.  So completely irrelevant for this conversation!  :)  (Besides, we're not trying to build BackupPC at the block leven here.  We're trying to slightly extend BackupPC.)

> Our current option would now be number 6 on this list. An archive host.
> 6) Archive Host. Backups run at night, during the day, backuppc
> archives itself to the archive host. Tar files of all the backups
> sit on a remote server - full remote backups of everything on the
> backuppc. An instant replacement for tape.

While archives are very valuable (and I use them for off-site protection as well), they are not an answer to the question, which is how to duplicate the entire *pool*.  This duplicates a single *backup*, not the pool.

So, I stick by my 4 options, with one of them possibly slightly renamed.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com