BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 00:14:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Saturn2888 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:11:49 -0700
Les, that's a pretty good idea, running two, but I cannot do that with these
systems sadly. It'd be really nice to not have to take the machine down to do
the backup though. So I guess that's my question, I'm looking for a way to
backup the pool over Ethernet while it's running. Double twice the backups
would be great but having it done once at all is tough. The machine doing it is
barely able to because of the amount of rsync operations and hardlinks. My
other machines are even lower power so they'd be far less effective.

While it's possible to dd an lvm snapshot, that's 1TB/day which is quite a huge
amount of time and bandwidth consumed. Is there no other solution like ddsnap?
I mean, since my BackupPC pool is on an lvm, doing a dd itself isn't the
problem. It's that it's 1TB/day or more depending on my file system size. It'd
be really nice to have a solution to sync only the changes of that day which
then, I can snapshot on the other machine. In my case, that other machine is
the iSCSI target. I think DRBD is my best bet now, but it's more than a handle
to figure out; that's for sure.

Has anyone tried DRBD before?