BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 15:47:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:43:28 -0400
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 04/11/2011 10:55:21 AM:

> On 4/11/2011 12:43 AM, Saturn2888 wrote:
> > But none of that solves the issue we're having now.
>
> None of what?  It is hard to understand things with no context.
>
> > How in the world do we backup the current pool of data?
>
> Any of the ways that you can do an image copy of the raw partition or
> disk holding the archive will work as a backup.  But in many cases the
> best approach is to simply run an independent copy of backuppc from a
> different location, connecting to the same targets over a WAN or VPN,
> perhaps with the blackout periods skewed to avoid running at the same times.

Can someone *PLEASE* make this a sticky on the God-forsaken forum that cross-posts here?

To slightly expand what Les wrote:  there are 4 realistic options (for a very loose definition of "realistic"):

1) rsync the pool.
2) LVM Snapshot/dd
3) Break a RAID array
4) Run two separate BackupPC servers, both backing up the same server.

Use Google for further details.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!