BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2011-04-12 22:14:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Chris Parsons <Chris.Parsons AT petrosys.com DOT au>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:42:59 +0930
On 13/04/2011 11:21 AM, Timothy J Massey wrote:

ZFS.

Sorry, unexplainable brain fade. Maybe I should concentrate more on what I write. ZFS.
Remember, you have to get them to another machine, so ZFS or any other snapshot by itself won't finish the job: you then need to copy them somewhere else.  This includes SAN based solutions (though in that case, "somewhere else" might just be defined as a different storage shelf...).
Ah, but that is where ZFS still provides the solution. Getting the data somewhere else is as simple as:
[root@solaris]$ zfs snapshot master/data@1
[root@solaris]$ zfs send master/data@1 | zfs receive slave/data

The slave server, will now have an identical copy of the master. (Make it readonly for now however)

And the next time,
[root@solaris]$ zfs snapshot master/data@2
[root@solaris]$ zfs send -i master/data@1 master/data@2 | zfs receive slave/data

You will have only sent the differences between this snapshot and the last across.

So unlike ext3 + snapshots, ZFS will allow you to efficiently transfer your pool to another server.

So, I stick by my 4 options, with one of them possibly slightly renamed.
You might have me by definition on this. However, I like to think of ZFS as significantly more capable than other snapshot techniques. However, it comes with the obvious downside of having to run Solaris. (FreeBSD is an option, but reportly the ZFS support isnt quite there yet.) Distributions like Nexenta can somewhat mitigate against this however.