Amanda-Users

Re: help with backup problems please

2003-06-26 05:34:09
Subject: Re: help with backup problems please
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: repetita_iuvant AT yahoo DOT it, Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 05:31:30 -0400

From: root <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: MyOrg AMANDA MAIL REPORT FOR June 26, 2003
>
>These dumps were to tape DailySet1n4.
>The next tape Amanda expects to use is: a new tape.
>
>FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>  planner: ERROR Request to localhost timed out.
>  localhost  /dev/md0 RESULTS MISSING

Aha!  Since the error came from planner, it looks as if the etimeout
value set in your amanda.conf might be too small.  As /dev/md0 is a
software raid, its probably pretty big, and the estimate phase is
going to take extra time.  I know of one such 360 gig setup, and its
not particularly fast, only makeing about 30Mb a second in an hdparm
test.  I'd expect it would take at least 45 minutes to get an
estimate back from that one.

Heres a grep for mine, where the raid is not involved:

etimeout 600    # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
dtimeout 1800   # number of idle seconds before a dump is aborted.
ctimeout 5      # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits

which translates to 10 minutes, 30 minutes, and 5 seconds.  One of my
clients is a dog by todays standards.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M