Amanda-Users

help with backup problems please

2003-06-25 12:48:28
Subject: help with backup problems please
From: "Lucio.yahoo" <repetita_iuvant AT yahoo DOT it>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 18:46:56 +0000
Hello,

I have amanda 2.4.3-4 on RH9 and I'm trying to configure it for the first
time.
A full dump of the server every night is all I need: I have 7 tapes and I want
to reuse them on a weekly basis (I actually need only 5 tapes for weekdays,
the backup is not due on weekends, the other 2 are for errors that need
amflush).
The crontab work should be no problem to me, the sample crontab should be
enough. However I'm testing the backup process by launching the respective
commands from the command line: I guess that when this will work, crontab
will follow...

What actually works:
# amlabel DailySet1 DailySet1n1
works correctly.

The problems:
# amdump DailySet1
moves the tape for a few seconds, does not give any output on the screen and
it runs way too little time to believe it has written anything on the tape,
in fact

# amrestore /dev/st0

recognizes the tape as being an amanda tape (cause amlabel worked, I believe)
but restores nothing, no new file is created in the current directory.

The relevant parts of my config:

*** /etc/amanda/DailySet1/disklist ***

# These subdirs are all in the same filesystem, so this could be a problem
# too, but saying "localhost /dev/md0 comp-user-tar" doesn't work either and
# yelds exactly the same results
localhost /home comp-user-tar
localhost /etc comp-root-tar
localhost /boot comp-root-tar
localhost /bin comp-root-tar
localhost /lib comp-root-tar
localhost /root comp-root-tar
localhost /sbin comp-root-tar
localhost /usr comp-root-tar
localhost /var/log comp-root-tar

*** /etc/amanda/DailySet1/amanda.conf ***
[...]
dumpuser "root"         # the user to run dumps under
[...]
dumpcycle 0             # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
runspercycle 5 days     # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
tapecycle 7 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation
[...]
# Here I've put high values as an extra measure to avoid level bumping...
bumpsize 200 Gb # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1 -> 2
bumpdays 20000          # minimum days at each level
bumpmult 200            # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)
[...]
tapedev "/dev/nst0"     # the no-rewind tape device to be used
[...]
tapetype DLT-80         # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
labelstr "^DailySet1n[1-7]*$"   # label constraint regex: all tapes must match
[...]
define tapetype DLT-80 {
   comment "DLT 40/80 tape drive produced by tapetype program"
    length 38095 mbytes
    filemark 32 kbytes
    speed 5608 kps
 }