Amanda-Users

Re: help with backup problems please

2003-06-26 06:41:50
Subject: Re: help with backup problems please
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:39:35 +0200
Gene Heskett wrote:

That file should exist in /home/"amanda-user"/.amandahosts, and look something like this:
---------------
FQDN    amanda
FQDN    root
---------------
Where my amanda-user is amanda. And I'm not sure if the second line is needed at all. FQDN is the servers full name of course. This file must also exist on the clients, in the same location, which gives the server access rights there too.

On the client the first line is needed so that the user "amanda"
can start a backup on this client; FQDN = name of server in this case.

On the server the second line is needed so that "root" on the client
can start a restore; FQDN = name of the client in this case.

The meaning is: when some "username" from "host" connects, let him in.

So, usually you have a oneliner on each client, and a large list on the server. (Also remember the server is also a client in most cases.)
You can leave most of entries on the server commented out(*),
so that someone from workstation A with root access cannot restore
files from or SecretServer B, if security is a concern.

(*) commented out = there is no real comment sign but if you add a #-sign in front of the name, the hostname effectively never matches,
(unless you really have a host named "#" or '#host' :-) ).