Amanda-Users

Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?

2002-12-05 19:46:21
Subject: Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:12:32 -0500
On Thursday 05 December 2002 15:46, tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com wrote:
>Niall  O Broin wrote:
>>On Thursday 05 December 2002 17:22, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>>> I'm curious how some you have dealt with the catch-22 of
>>> backing up Amanda's configuration files. Ideally during the
>>> restore process Amanda is available with all it's configuration
>>> files intact. However, if the Amanda server needs to be
>>> restored, you can't restore them in the usual Amanda way,
>>> because the config files to do so would be on a backup tape...
>>
>>This is a FFAQ (Fairly Frequently . . . .) - the sensible thing
>> to do is

>>copy the amanda config files to a physically different disk, and
>
>preferrrably
>
>>even to a different computer, even offsite if you want to be
>> really
>
>paranoid.
>

>I capture the amanda configs on every tape. My backups start at
> 9pm and are done by the early morning.
>So I set the disklist entry to back up the amanda dir at 6 am:
>
>warsaw /usr/local/etc/amanda {
> hwcomp
> program "GNUTAR"
> record no
> index no
> dumpcycle 0
> starttime 0600
>}

This seems like an excelent idea, so I expanded it to do the same
with /usr/local/var/* so I have the indices too.  I also wrote a
script that runs a few minutes before the main backup starts, which
makes a pair of tarballs of these and puts them in
/home/amanda/amanda/config-bak/*, where it maintains like the
logfiles for linux do, the last (in this case 7) few copies of
these tarballs.

I am rather determined not to get caught with my 'data' at half mast
like I did the last time a disk got scrambled.

We need a manpage for disklist, I had no idea such macro scripting
was available till now, thank you very much Tobias.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M