Amanda-Users

Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?

2002-12-05 15:54:00
Subject: Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?
From: Wayne Richards <wrichards AT goodyear DOT com>
To: "Richard B. Tilley " "(Brad)" <rtilley AT vt DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:00:02 -0500
I have a cron job that runs twice a week to tar up the entire amanda directory
to a separate filesystem.  That gets backed up every night.  If I need to
recover, I can extract the files from that tarball if the filesystem is still
ok or extract the tarball from tape.

> create a cron job that looks like this:
>
> -----------------------
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /bin/cat /etc/amanda/backup-dir/backup-conf | mail -s "Daily Backup
> Conf" your_email_address
>
> -----------------------
>
> You could do this for as many of the config files that you want to keep.
> I email my config files to myself monthly.
>

> On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 12:22, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm curious how some you have dealt with the catch-22 of backing up
> > Amanda's configuration files. Ideally during the restore process Amanda
> > is available with all it's configuration files intact. However, if the
> > Amanda server needs to be restored, you can't restore them in the usual
> > Amanda way, because the config files to do so would be on a backup
> > tape...
> >
> > How of others of you worked around this?
> >
> >   -mark
> >
> > http://mark.stosberg.com/
> --
> Richard B. Tilley (Brad), System Administrator & Web Developer
> Virginia Tech, Office of the University Bursar
> Phone: 540.231.6277
> Fax: 540.231.3238
> Page: 557.0891
> Web: http://www.bursar.vt.edu

---
Wayne Richards                          e-mail: wrichards AT goodyear DOT com

And one for the lawyers:

This email may contain confidential/proprietary information and may not be
copied or disseminated without the express written consent of the Goodyear
Tire & Rubber Co.