Amanda-Users

Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?

2002-12-05 14:56:15
Subject: Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?
From: Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva AT scuff.cc.utexas DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 13:07:03 -0600
At 12:22 PM 12/5/2002 -0500, Mark Stosberg, you wrote:

Hello,

I'm curious how some you have dealt with the catch-22 of backing up
Amanda's configuration files. Ideally during the restore process Amanda
is available with all it's configuration files intact. However, if the
Amanda server needs to be restored, you can't restore them in the usual
Amanda way, because the config files to do so would be on a backup
tape...

How of others of you worked around this?

  -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/

I would first point you to the free Amanda chapter from "Unix Backup and Recovery":

<http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda.html>

specifically the section "Restoring Without Amanda" <http://www.backupcentral.com/amanda-24.html>.

The key for me is keeping a copy of the table of contents files (built by patching amdump):

AMANDA: To restore:
    position tape at start of file and run:
        dd if=<tape> bs=32k skip=1 [ | zcat ] | restore -...f
    or run: amrestore -p <tape> [host [partition]] | restore -...f

#       Server:/partition                       date      lev  size[Kb]
0       daily09:                20021204    -         -
1       fee.utexas.edu:/tmp             20021204    1       590
2       fi.utexas.edu:/boot             20021204    1        20
3       fo.utexas.edu.edu:/home         20021204    1        92
4       fum.utexas.edu:/                20021204    1      1027

which will tell you how to restore that partition without the amanda toolset. I keep a copy of these files on other servers.

Oscar