Amanda-Users

Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?

2002-12-05 16:43:42
Subject: Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Mark Stosberg <mark AT summersault DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:48:48 -0500
On Thursday 05 December 2002 12:22, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm curious how some you have dealt with the catch-22 of backing
> up Amanda's configuration files. Ideally during the restore
> process Amanda is available with all it's configuration files
> intact. However, if the Amanda server needs to be restored, you
> can't restore them in the usual Amanda way, because the config
> files to do so would be on a backup tape...
>
>How of others of you worked around this?
>
>  -mark

I haven't managed to do that yet myself, as I, like you, found there
were none-nada-zip-zero of amanda's configs and indexes actually on
the last dumpcycle tapes.

That seems to be a local puzzle because I was immediately told that
this absolutely can't happen, but it did.  And yes, I consider that
to be a huge bug, to be investigated when the new install is
running stably.

So I just re-installed and reconfigured it all from scratch.  And
I've shortened dumpcycle to 5 days & might go down to 4 even.  One
of these first days I'm going to get down the last dumpcycle days
worth of tapes and see if they are on the tapes now.  If not,
bummer.  Amanda is essentially just a drive abuser when the indices
and such aren't on the tapes.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M