Amanda-Users

Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?

2002-12-07 17:24:57
Subject: Re: recommendations for backing up Amanda?
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 16:54:59 -0500
On Saturday 07 December 2002 16:07, Niall O Broin wrote:
>On Saturday 07 December 2002 01:52, you wrote:
>> I'm doing that too.  But I should move that script to after the
>> backup is done, as the current way means they are a day older
>> than the tape.  Thanks for pointing that detail out Niall.
>> Doing it your way means they'll only be a day out of date if I
>> have to pull them from the tape.
>
>No ! No ! - doing it the way I suggested (I hesitate to call it my
> way - sysadmins doing backup seriously have been doing something
> like that since forever) means not pulling it from tape at all,
> and having a current copy always available separate from the
> tape, and separate from the disk where the files normally live. I
> don't think you can ever really have an accurate copy of the
> index files on tape (*) because the files are being updated as
> each backup is made (or not, but then they're not much use to
> you). Best you can have on tape is a saved away copy of
> yesterday's indices.

I *thought* thats what I was saying.  And yes, after the backup is
done for the night, I'm making a seperate tarball of both the
config dir and the indices dir, and stashing those in a rotating
manner in /home/amanda/amanda/config-bak, keeping the last 7
'editions' of each.

The actual backup to tape is also done without indices *or*
recording about half an hour after the main backup is done, so it
should be up to date at that point & non-locked so its all there.

I did find that the disklist entries I had were defaulting to using
gzip, and that I didn't seem to be able to recover those from the
tape, so I've now reset those disklist entries like this:

coyote  /usr/local/etc/amanda {
root-tar
record no
index no
dumpcycle 0
starttime 0215
}
coyote /usr/local/var/amanda {
root-tar
record no
index no
dumpcycle 0
starttime 0216
}

root-tar does not compress in my amanda.conf.

amcheck doesn't complain, so we'll see tonight how well that works.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M