nv-l

RE: [nv-l] Netview 7.1 and Netview v2.3 OS390

2002-04-17 11:51:31
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Netview 7.1 and Netview v2.3 OS390
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr AT csgsystems DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:51:31 -0500
James, as always, you provide an answer based on your own comittment to the
success of this forum. Please do not confuse my input here as any kind of a
negative view of your help here. You are the best.

NOW, with that having been said I am going to respond, again, to the some of
points you raise.

===> This list is about NetView usage, period.  It is not a marketing channel,
no matter how much you would like it to be one.  It has no official standing
within the company.  And no opinion here is official, especially not mine.  I
thought that was clear a long time ago.  We are contributing to the NetView
users' group, nothing more.

James, that is the whole point. This needs to be an official forum or at the
very least, an unofficial forum that internal marketing and development staff
review and participate. There are NUMEROUS problems with the marketing and
sales aspects of these product(s) that are severely inhibiting technical
advancement. One of those problems is the inability to actually get the
technical data I need to fulfill an objective. Which product? What version?
What release? What are the interoperability options? What are the technical
criteria for deployment decisions? What decisions make technical sense? What
decisions make financial sense? What are the alternative products?

People reach out here on peripheral questions because very few of us run
NetView in a vaccuum and none of us can claim to really *KNOW* which
products/features are in which Tivoli product (or any of those other
questions). Even Jane Curry and Bill Evans who in my mind have the most
extensive product suite knowledge of anyone on this forum find themselves
stumped with product announcements like the NetView 7.1.2 announcement.

Not a Tivoli supported forum? Why not? Give me a good reason why this should
not be an official forum? You have internal support staff from Tivoli
maintaining the mailing list! You have Tivoli employees replying to forum
questions.

===> I will grant you that there is not nearly enough detail in the recent
marketing announcements, but no one who volunteers on this list, not me, not
Pam Geiger, nor anyone else,  has the responsibility of clarifying how TBSM
works on this list.  I suggest you be patient and let your marketing rep get
those details for you.  That is his job.  Not ours.  I would, as I am sure
anyone else would, clarify things for you if we could, but this is
not the place to expect such an answer.

I'm sorry the "not my job" approach may be technically valid, but that still
doesn't meet the support needs we have. What have you done to make the
situation better? If Pam's role is not to communicate the trends and issues
that are brought out here what is her role? Are you suggesting that right now
we don't use this forum as a sounding board for development AND that it would
be undesirable if we did? Lets summarize where a systems administrator is today
for NetView education/support:

1. Take the class which still supports v5.1 and does not include several old
topics (security, rulesets etc.) and certainly doesn't include the v6 and v7
enhancements in their entirety.
2. Support web page: I can report PMRs but I can't really search other problem
reports. I can look at the knowledge base which contains a lot of information
about Tivoli (TEC, DM etc) but very little about NetView. Solutions that are
available are typically quite old and you cannot proceed with confidence that
the older materials are not out of date.
3. Tivoli Support doesn't provide fixes for problems you have yet (or are
unaware) you have encountered. So you can spend your time resolving issues that
people may have already stumbled upon. Maybe your production system is down
because you are busy trying to figure out whats going on meanwhile a fix is
sitting on an FTP server if you just knew it was there.
4. Tivoli marketing representatives are difficult to locate and lack the
ability to form concise technical opinions because they have to cover such a
board range of products they are unable to have the depth they need to answer
technical questions. I am from a very small mid-west market and I still had to
call 5 people over a 3 month period and follow up just to get a call scheduled
to TALK about TBSM.
5. Rely on RedBooks that typically are more than 5 years old (with the
exception of the EXCELLENT Netview v6.01 and friends)
6. The Tivoli mailing list (this forum) doesn't not cover the periphery where
this product blends with others.
7. There is no "customization" guide - recommended ways to use NetView,
strategies to deploy, or systems management paradigm. No tips about Cisco
integration, no helpful hints for dealing with Microsoft devices, nothing more
than a cookbook of procedures that you have difficulty identifying the context
they should be performed in.
8. Tivoli Marketing Web Pages are a brutal trip down 100+ products that have no
definition of how they interrelate and overlap. They are out of date, cryptic,
filled with changed nomenclature that isn't even consistent within your own
company.

The sad part really is that I'm NOT the one with the issue here. I have a
functioning system. I'm pretty sure I can make the marriage between mainframe
and distributed NetView work - somehow. I tried to start an enhancement forum,
I participate in Netview ESP and CIP programs, I write enhancement requests, I
do the leg work support needs to fix the code. I'm not sure who should be
paying who for support here.

Sorry if this seems brutal. You won't be hearing from me much anymore, if at
all, in this forum. I am sure that will make your corner of the universe
peaceful and serene. Good luck and thanks for all your assistance. You have a
difficult job.