nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Netview 7.1 and Netview v2.3 OS390

2002-04-17 15:01:09
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview 7.1 and Netview v2.3 OS390
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:01:09 +0100
Scott,
Some years back there was a debate as to whether both this and the tme10
forum should be "Tivoli supported".  The concensus then was that it was
NOT desirable - the majority didn't want even the perceived possibility
of Tivoli/IBM censoring OUR  forum.  I personally think that was a good
decision and remains a good decision.

I  have heartfelt agreement with your point about Tivoli marketing.  I
totally agree that I would like to see marketing actively take more note
of what goes on here - before Pam became the NetView evangelist, there
seemed to be even less IBM/Tivoli ear to the forum.

On the other hand, as someone who did work for IBM for many years, I can
see that no-one inside the company is going to get "monitoring the forum
and responding" as part of the objectives on which, ultimately, they get
paid at the end of the day, particularly if the forum isn't a mechanism
over which they have real control - see argument in paragraph 1.

The LAST thing I would suggest we want is to discourage folk like James
and Pam from contributing in what is effectively, their own time.  IMHO,
James has done as much for NetView in the last few years as any other
single person.

Lets keep this as an unofficial technical interchange, hoping that
marketing monitor it, but the real route to complain about marketing,
support, product direction, etc  I guess should be via your official
IBM/Tivoli contacts - sales, marketing, etc.

My 2 pennorth,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.