Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....

2008-03-31 14:37:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:32:52 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media...., MIchael Leone...:

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/28/2008 03:13:27 PM:

Not true. We have to comply as well as we can. Which means restoring
those
EOM backups, and searching those.

Yes, but you're not getting *all* email, you're getting a small snapshot
of the email, based on one "sample period" (assuming you only do one
backup per day).

Yes, we have mentioned to the CIO to re-inforce that fact to the
requestors.

You've done your "due diligence" then.  Whenever I'm dealing with lawyers
or law enforcement and they make a generic request for "all email", I
always make sure to point out what they're really getting, so that there's
no chance for misunderstanding.

As an aside, since I've had to do so many of these types of recovers over
the years, I wrote a perl script that's a wrapper around recover, to
recover a copy of a file (or directory of files) from every day in a given
range.  It makes it easier to recover someone's INBOX (or all their
folders) for a range of dates, so that I don't have to manually run 14
recovers to get each copy of someone's mail folders for the past 14 days.

It could use some work (it doesn't currently detect when a file hasn't
changed, so it will blithely recover 14 instances of a file that was only
backed up once, and it's never been tested on Windows), but if you ever
need to do a recover like that, let me know if you want to give it a try.
I'll try apply a little polish and send it your way.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)