Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....

2008-03-28 12:27:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:01:12 -0500
Hello,
You can design a mminfo query to identify which media was used per client
and reports can be saved for upto your retention as you like, then you can
point them to the tape labled\recycled log that is generated when
networker does relableing, i believe this is logged into deamonlog\message
etc, save them periodically for correlations and let them search through
it if they like, atleast you have the logs.
I save all networker related logs for upto 2 years, tape that are sent to
IM can be inventoried also and the reports are saved as well, the
regulation put log of strain on the system admins, but this simple steps
might do the trick.
HTH

brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/28/2008 10:40 AM
Please respond to
NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[Networker] Tracking recycled media....

Greetings

We are in the midst of responding to a discovery request (yea).   Of
course the information of interest is beyond the retention time for the
client.

We have attempted to explain to the lawyers (using small words) that after
all of the savesets expire on the media where they were written, the media
becomes eligible for re-use.   At our site, essentially all pools can
recycle to and from each other.  Their response was, well, can you show us
what tapes used to have the information of interest and when it was
recycled for another client's backup?

I don't think that this is possible, I can't think of where this
information would be logged.  We do run Backup Advisor, so maaaaybe it's
in there, but frankly I'm deeply underwhelmed by BA, I'd give my eye teeth
for SQL connector to the damn NW databases instead (but that's another
rant)

I've opened a ticket with EMC to confirm my suspicion, but if someone
could point out an approach, I'd be deeply appreciative.

Current environment
NW 7.3.3 running on win2k3.  Clients are backed up in a client-to-CDL
followed by clone-from-CDL-to-physical-media arrangement.

Thanks in advance!
-brerrabbit

|This was sent by drhulme AT tarrantcounty DOT com via Backup Central.

type