Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....

2008-03-28 14:49:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:46:19 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/28/2008 02:15:09 PM:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media...., MIchael
Leone...:

> > EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> > 03/28/2008 11:54:23 AM:
> >
> >> We have a similar situation - they (the lawyers) want all data since
> >> 2002.
> >>
> >> Let me know what you find out, I could use the information.
> >
> > I have a lawyer request for all email, from all employees, from
1999-2005,

> But unless you use an email archiving solution, you can't possibly
comply.

Not true. We have to comply as well as we can. Which means restoring those
EOM backups, and searching those.

> Have you explained to the lawyer that traditional email backups are just
> a snapshot of how the email folders looked at one particular point
during
> the day -- anything that wasn't in the INBOX or other folders when the
> backup ran won't be recoverable.

Not me - I'm just a peon. :-) Our CIO knows all that, but we still got the
request from him anyway.