Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....

2008-03-28 12:27:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 16:16:01 +0000
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:40:25AM -0400, brerrabbit wrote:
> We have attempted to explain to the lawyers (using small words) that
> after all of the savesets expire on the media where they were written,
> the media becomes eligible for re-use.  At our site, essentially all
> pools can recycle to and from each other.  Their response was, well,
> can you show us what tapes used to have the information of interest
> and when it was recycled for another client's backup?
>
> I don't think that this is possible, I can't think of where this
> information would be logged.  We do run Backup Advisor, so maaaaybe
> it's in there, but frankly I'm deeply underwhelmed by BA, I'd give my
> eye teeth for SQL connector to the damn NW databases instead (but
> that's another rant)

"logged"?  Any chance you keep old bootstrap volumes?  I did some work
like this and used old DB tapes.  I could restore them to another
machine and see the information about the original backup, including the
volumes used and expected expiration dates.

Lo and behold that matched up perfectly to the fact that the tape now
shows up has having been recycled about 4 days after the old expiration
date.  So everything was consistent with our tape handling and storage
retention policies.

If you brutally recycle old bootstrap/catalog tapes and don't leave some
offsite indefinitely like this client did, the information may simply no
longer be available.