Networker

Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....

2008-03-28 15:17:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media....
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:13:27 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media...., MIchael Leone...:

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/28/2008 02:15:09 PM:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] Tracking recycled media...., MIchael
Leone...:

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/28/2008 11:54:23 AM:

We have a similar situation - they (the lawyers) want all data since
2002.

Let me know what you find out, I could use the information.

I have a lawyer request for all email, from all employees, from
1999-2005,

But unless you use an email archiving solution, you can't possibly
comply.

Not true. We have to comply as well as we can. Which means restoring those
EOM backups, and searching those.

Yes, but you're not getting *all* email, you're getting a small snapshot
of the email, based on one "sample period" (assuming you only do one
backup per day).

Have you explained to the lawyer that traditional email backups are just
a snapshot of how the email folders looked at one particular point
during
the day -- anything that wasn't in the INBOX or other folders when the
backup ran won't be recoverable.

Not me - I'm just a peon. :-) Our CIO knows all that, but we still got the
request from him anyway.

I've gotten these types of requests in the past too; I also work in an
"open records" state, so I've probably gotten more "give me all email that
says..." requests than most.

It's my opinion (and that's all it is) that one needs to use those
situations to remind (or educate) the higher-ups of the shortfalls of
traditional backups.  It's just not possible with traditional backups
to get "all email".  All you get is a sample from one particular period
of the day.

If they really need "all email", then they need something beyond
traditional backups -- maybe email archiving, maybe continuous data
protection, maybe something else entirely.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)