Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?

2013-09-16 19:53:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?
From: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:50:11 -0600
On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 18:12 +0300, Guy wrote:
> I use SATA drives and pretend they are tape drives by using vchanger.

I will look into doing something like this with one of those USB-to-SATA
drive docks that was recommended. I presume I will be able to find some
way to pretend that the drives are 2TB capacity "tapes", so that I can
label the drives and Bacula will keep track of which archives are on
which drive, and tell me which one I need to insert should I ever need
to do a restore from an archive. I figure once every few weeks, I'll
manually run some copy jobs to copy backup jobs to the archive drives.

On the 4TB active drive, I just created via the "label" command a bunch
of files and made them 50GB capacity, which does cause Bacula to write
50GB to each file, and it will automatically choose the next file to
write to when one is full. I have done some restores (including one that
was actually not just a test) from these backups successfully.

For me, it doesn't matter that USB is slow. I know that of course. I
knew I wasn't going to get great performance from the storage server as
soon as I decided to try using a Raspberry Pi. At that time, I was
looking for a way to avoid having to have yet another always-up server
in the house, and the always-up servers I already have are already
running enough stuff that I didn't want to add to them. So getting a
server for 50 bucks and very low power use seemed like a good thing to
try, and it has worked very well so far. The amount of data I write is
low enough that performance is not a major issue. Slow but reliable is
fine for my purposes.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this.

--Greg