Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?

2013-09-16 11:57:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Guy <guy AT britewhite DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:53:28 -0400

well i looked at tape drives a while ago.. however the cost/mb is so large that I looked for another solution.

So my solution is this...I use SATA drives and pretend they are tape drives by using vchanger. I put a 4 bay hot swap SATA drive enclosure into the bacula server, I can write to 4 drives at a time. I can then remove the drives and put them in a flight case for off-site storage.

 To me the choice depends a lot on how many TBs of data you have. With 3TB SATA drives going for around $100 US you can buy quite a few drives compared to just the cost of an entry level LTO tape drive. Although I recommend in either situation if your data is essential make sure you always have at least 2 full backups on different media.

John