Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?

2013-09-17 08:44:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?
From: Thomas Harold <thomas-lists AT nybeta DOT com>
To: Greg Woods <greg AT gregandeva DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:40:59 -0400
On 9/16/2013 12:52 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 14:02 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
>
>> My question is whether there is any such thing as a USB tape drive that
>> is known to work with Bacula.
>
> It's clear from the responses I got that I left out an important detail,
> since all the responses were telling me why I should use something other
> than a USB tape drive.
>
> This is a cheap home setup. My storage server is a Raspberry Pi. So I do
> not have SATA bays,  SCSI interfaces, or eSATA interfaces available. The
> only connection for peripherals is USB. My current storage device is a
> 4TB USB drive, of the "green" type that shuts itself down automatically
> when inactive. But it is still connected, because I want to be able to
> fire off an incremental backup for a laptop or desktop whenever I want,
> without having to fiddle with hardware connections.

I'd recommend:

1) If this wasn't a Raspberry Pi, I'd say get a USB3 card.  Instead of
25-30MB/s, you'll be able to push as much as 75-85MB/s over the wire to
the drive.  Even if your host is USB2, you should still make sure to get
a USB3 drive.

2) Look into autofs. The autofs daemon is designed to automatically
mount a volume at a mount point when requested (and it is available),
then dismount it after a period of inactivity.

(While we don't yet use bacula at the office for our offsite backups, we
do use external USB3 drives with autofs + LUKS encryption.)

3) External 2.5" USB3 drives come in 1TB and 2TB capacities.  How big is
your backup set?

Given the prices of LTO capable of storing 2-3TB, for a small setup, 3-6
USB drives is very attractive.