Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?

2013-09-16 10:49:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] USB tape drives?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:46:10 -0500
On 2013-09-16 09:20, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 9/14/2013 4:02 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
... I'd like to have a tape device so that I can
>> migrate my backups from an attached hard drive to tape, so that I have
>> copies of my backups that are not on a device that is always connected.
>
> Since the tapes themselves can be stored anywhere, why do you care if
> the tape drive is connected? I think there just isn't much need for a
> USB tape drive because there is no reason not to use SAS/SATA or SCSI,
> and USB (except for perhaps USB3) is too slow for the sustained
> throughput of LTO drives.'

Hard drives are more expensive than LTO per gig, but factoring in the
cost of the drive and potentially the controller, why not store the hard
drive on the shelf? Toaster-type sata drive docks are cheap, 3TB drives
are $42/TB over here, how big's your backup?

Dima