Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-02 15:48:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 15:44:21 -0400
>> Use the bacula vchanger to create a virtual disk autochanger.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/
>>
>> Make each hard disk a virtual magazine with a set of fixed size volumes.
>
> Yes, I saw the wiki page, thanks. I can't help thinking there's gotta be
> a simpler way:

vchanger is very simple to use. At home I set it up years ago and its
pretty much set it and forget it.

> can't bacula handle 2 tape drives at once? Or a
> DVD-burner tower? Or is the only way to use them is the moving symlink?

DVDs are out, bacula has not supported them in years. Tape drives yes
bacula will can use more than 1 tape drive just like it can use more
than 1 disk storage device. A single job can never use more than
device. Also with multiple independent storage devices you would have
to manage and schedule your jobs to each device instead of sending all
jobs to an autochanger resource and let bacula handle things. I done
this both ways and I can say the virtual autochanger is considerably
easier to use.

John