Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling configuration question

2010-05-18 10:39:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling configuration question
From: Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 07:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Mon, 5/17/10, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:

> As previously mentioned, staggering backups on your clients
> is fairly
> easy.  A six-day backup cycle is *unusual*, because it
> doesn't fit
> neatly into either weekly or monthly schedules, and because
> we don't
> have an ideal calendar divided into equal months of a
> multiple of six
> days.

Ok, I do have a spare disk in my system I can use for the 7th day.  So, let's
change the schedule such that I have 3 sets of "7 disks", for a total of 21
disks.  Perhaps this will simplify the scheduling.  I still wish to have a full
backup for every client at least once per week (7 days).

The configurations in bacula really confuse me.  It seems like I need
configuration settings which reference other settings which reference pools
which contain more settings which eventually point to what I'm really backing
up.  Perhaps this gives the administrator extremely specific granularity in
what gets backed up, but I think my needs are much simpler.  I just have a
bunch of clients with identical backup needs, they get backed up every night
between 1am GMT and 12am GMT in no particular order, and I want a full backup
of each one every week.  That's pretty much it.

I tried using pieces of the config referenced at
http://bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Backup_Strategies.html
I'm not sure what the "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup" does.  Do I really need that?

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=MondayPool Monday at 1:00am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=TuesdayPool Tuesday at 1:00am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=WednesdayPool Wednesday at 1:00am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=ThursdayPool Thursday at 1:00am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=WeeklyPool Friday at 1:00am
}
# This does the catalog. It starts after the WeeklyCycle
Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=MondayPool Monday at 1:15am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=TuesdayPool Tuesday at 1:15am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=WednesdayPool Wednesday at 1:15am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=ThursdayPool Thursday at 1:15am
  Run = Level=Full Pool=WeeklyPool Friday at 1:15am
}

And the Pool definitions as well.  But now when I run my backups, I get an
error:

18-May 09:00 bacula-va-sd JobId 62: Job Bacula_Server.2010-05-18_02.00.00_08 is
waiting. Cannot find any appendable volumes.
Please use the "label" command to create a new Volume for:
    Storage:      "FileStorage" (/opt/bacula/volumes)
    Pool:         TuesdayPool
    Media type:   File

So, I suspect I need to modify something since I have different Pools now?  Do
I really need all these Pools?

I'm OK with totally wiping my database clean and starting from scratch.  So, if
anyone has a super simple configuration I can try I'm up for it!

Thanks!