Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling configuration question

2010-05-17 16:49:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling configuration question
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 16:46:44 -0400
On 05/17/10 16:11, Joseph Spenner wrote:
> --- On Mon, 5/17/10, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>>> How would I configure such that it runs a full backup
>> every 6 "runs"?
>>
>> Make the full backup weekly in the schedule instead of
>> monthly.
>>
>>> By default, how many incrementals does it run before a
>> full backup is run?
>>
>> This is set by your schedule. And in your schedule you say
>> 1 full
>> backup per month.
>>

> If I do a full backup weekly, doesn't that contradict the "1 full backup per
> month" ?
>
> Are there some good examples of various options for the schedule?  I'd really
> like to see some examples rather than vague references to theoretical backup
> scenarios/schedules.
>
>>>From what I read on
>>>http://bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Backup_Strategies.html it still
>>>wants to force me into a specific day of the week.  For example:
>
> Schedule {
>   Name = "WeeklyCycle"
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=MondayPool Monday at 8:00pm
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=TuesdayPool Tuesday at 8:00pm
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=WednesdayPool Wednesday at 8:00pm
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=ThursdayPool Thursday at 8:00pm
>   Run = Level=Full Pool=WeeklyPool Friday at 8:00pm
> }
>
> I don't really want to force myself to do a FULL backup on any specific day.
> Or is there no way around this?  I would like to stagger the full backups of
> each client.
>
> My only other experience with backup software is AMANDA.  In there, the
> clients each do their full backups at different times based on how much they
> need to back up.

AMANDA has a totally different approach to backup scheduling than
Bacula.  And I'll come right out and say that AMANDA's approach makes my
brain hurt.  It's sort of like having a checkbook that promises it'll be
balanced three times a month, you just won't know which days it's
balanced on.

Bacula expects you to tell it when you want to back up specific clients,
to what media, and at what level.  Because when the CFO asks you "Hey,
do you have a backup of the work I did yesterday?", your answer had
better not be, "Gee, uh, I don't know."

So, decide.  Do you want one full backup of a given client per week, or
one per month, or something else?  Three per month, say?  Do you want to
do incrementals every night, every second night, every third night?  Do
you want to do differentials?  Figure out what you want to do, and then
people will be able to advise you on how best to implement it.  But
remember that Bacula expects you to make the decisions.  You, the
administrator, should be telling the tool what to do, rather than vice
versa.

If you want to stagger full backups of different sets of clients on
different nights, what I would do is create five Pools (as it appears
you have), five Schedules, and five JobDefs records, each of which
includes the appropriate Pool and Schedule.  Then you can set Jobs for
different clients to use the appropriate JobDefs records, and get the
Pool and Schedule for that client set in a single step.

Also consider using Pool specifications in the Job/JobDefs record rather
than using Schedule-based Pool overrides.  Schedule-based overrides have
been deprecated because it is not possible to make them work properly
with automatic job level promotion.  At this time, they are still
supported for backwards compatibility, but may be removed in future.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.