Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling configuration question

2010-05-17 17:55:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling configuration question
From: Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 14:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Mon, 5/17/10, Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net> wrote:

> AMANDA has a totally different approach to backup
> scheduling than
> Bacula.  And I'll come right out and say that AMANDA's
> approach makes my
> brain hurt.  It's sort of like having a checkbook that
> promises it'll be
> balanced three times a month, you just won't know which
> days it's
> balanced on.
>
> Bacula expects you to tell it when you want to back up
> specific clients,
> to what media, and at what level.  Because when the
> CFO asks you "Hey,
> do you have a backup of the work I did yesterday?", your
> answer had
> better not be, "Gee, uh, I don't know."

Ok, it's not quite THAT bad!   :)
In AMANDA, at any given time after it is run, I can always recover a full file
system.  If the full backup was done last night, I only need the 1 media/run
from last night; if the full backup was done 3 nights ago, I might need the
last 3 media-- depending on how much I want to recover.  Either way, I should
be able to always get a full recover at any time.

Sorry to offend with the AM*ND* word.  It won't happen again.

> So, decide.  Do you want one full backup of a given
> client per week, or
> one per month, or something else?  Three per month,
> say?  Do you want to
> do incrementals every night, every second night, every
> third night?  Do
> you want to do differentials?  Figure out what you
> want to do, and then
> people will be able to advise you on how best to implement
> it.

I think my schedule should be pretty simply.  I want the exact same type of
schedule for all clients, but the timing to be staggered such that not EVERY
client does a full backup on the same night.  I want 1 FULL backup every 6th
run/day (so, I would need to initialize each client on different days to avoid
them all doing a full backup on the same night).  I know, if I have more than 6
clients, I'll need to have more than 1 full backup on some/many nights, and
this is acceptable.

Every "week" as defined in the configuration may not work, because in theory I
could miss a FULL backup on my 6-disk set if the full backup happened the night
before I swapped out my set:

disk:   5    6    1    2    3    4    5     6    1    2
day:    fri  sat  sun  mon  tue  wed  thur  fri  sat  sun
level:  INC  FULL INC  INC  INC  INC  INC   INC  FULL INC

In the above scenario, if my FULL was set to Saturday, I'd have disks 1 through
6 with only incrementals.

As far as differentials, I'm not sure.  I'm still not very clear on their
importance, since incrementals cover the changes.  If I understand correctly,
it sounds like the differentials cover what may have been written to disk
during the backup itself-- perhaps needed on a very busy disk.  I don't think I
need this level of backup.

Does this setup seem simple enough?

Thanks!