Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

2008-10-05 03:40:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 08:57:53 +0200
On Friday 03 October 2008 21:13:07 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 20:22 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It is not too late to change the name of the directive, but I would like
> > to see some discussion/input on this.  Although I don't have any strong
> > attachment to "Ignore Dir",  I think I personally prefer it to "Exclude
> > Flag File", which will be harder for me to remember.
>
> Hello,
>
> A nice feature would be if wild, wildir, wildfile strings
> can be read from client file.
>
> Exclude {
>   Client Wild = .bacula_exclude
> }
>
> /some/dir/on/client/.bacula_exclude:
> .svn
> *.iso
>

> If its not too late

It is never too late, but yes, it *probably* is too late for the next release
because the developers are not adding new features, so any such change would
need to be contributed code.

The best way to ensure that such suggestions are not lost is to following the
feature request procedure:  www.bacula.org -> Feature Requests

However, I might say that I am not too enthusiastic about adding such an
option because it removes the control from the Director (i.e. changes the
fundamental Bacula design philosophy that says that the Director should
determine what is backed up).

The current "Ignore Dir" code was very cleverly designed and written by a user
to respect the concept that the Director is the central point of control.  It
allows the Director to control exactly where such "user" defined exclusion
files can be put, so the sys admin has the ability to ensure that particular
directories are always backed up regardless of the presence of the "flag"
file or not.

Best regards,

Kern