Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

2008-10-07 07:29:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: kern AT sibbald DOT com
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:23:33 +0100

> > > Yes.

> > > Thanks for your comments.
> >
> > If it hasn't been done already, it could be useful to consider how this
> > affects the mental model that users have of the include/exclude algorithm
> > (which is already a source of some difficulty).  This applies to the
> > fstypes and drivetypes directives as well.
> >
> > There are two things about these directives that make them different from
> > others:
> >
> > 1) The current implementation is within the Options clause, so the config
> > can potentially have more than one per fileset.  Is that desirable or does
> > it just over-complicate the issue?
> >
> > 2) The directories are excluded *after* being included in the backup
> > according to the Options matching.  In all other cases, an exclude cannot
> > override a matching include.
> >
> > I may be less confusing to put the new directive at the top level of the
> > fileset directive, outside any of the Include or Exclude clauses.
>
> I personally don't find it that confusing, but am willing to admit that some
> would.  So, what is the solution?
>
> Drop the feature?
>
> Change the feature?

Putting it outside the Include option and making it truely apply to the whole
fileset would at least make it easier to define what it does.

> If it involves programming, please realize that this is contributed code, and
> so any changes would have to be agreed on by some sort of consensus, and then
> done by someone other than the developers or perhaps by the author.

I think the fileset syntax needs a complete overhaul.  The two main problems
are that it tries to do too many things simultaneously (setting options and
well as controlling the tree walk) and also that it defines a flat set of
rules for something that is, by nature, a tree.

__Martin