Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status

2008-10-07 07:05:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula Status
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 12:00:03 +0100

> * Martin Simmons schrieb am 06.10.08 um 22:04 Uhr:
> >
> > If it hasn't been done already, it could be useful to consider how this
> > affects the mental model that users have of the include/exclude algorithm
> > (which is already a source of some difficulty).  This applies to the fstypes
> > and drivetypes directives as well.
> >
> > There are two things about these directives that make them different from
> > others:
> >
> > 1) The current implementation is within the Options clause, so the config
> > can
> >    potentially have more than one per fileset.  Is that desirable or does it
> >    just over-complicate the issue?
>
> Look a bit closer. Its not within the Options section. Currently its
> in the Include section.

Ah, sorry, you are right about the config file parsing.

However, the implementation stores it in the Options structure and findlib
reads it from there too.  I think that makes it associate with the options
clause above it, even though it is outside the braces.  It also causes the
parser to crash if the directive is placed before the first Options clause.

> > 2) The directories are excluded *after* being included in the backup
> > according
> >    to the Options matching.  In all other cases, an exclude cannot override
> >    matching include.
> >
> > I may be less confusing to put the new directive at the top level of the
> > fileset directive, outside any of the Include or Exclude clauses.
>

> I voted for putting it into the Exclude section because this
> directive is about *excluding* directories from the backup.

True, but...

>                                                             So if
> someone uses this directive it has the same effect then the "file =
> /foo" in the Exclude section.

...that's not true and is exactly the confusion I was talking about!  The
Exclude section is only consulted if none of the Include Options clauses
match.  It does not override a +ve Include match, unlike ignoredir which does.

__Martin