Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8, dbcheck never completes

2008-08-18 16:21:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8, dbcheck never completes
From: Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:21:10 +0200 (CEST)
>>Yes, it's possible as long as the index names are different. Sorry,
>>but
>>I don't have your mysql output anymore. But each line in your posted
>>output represents a column in the index. So for each column in the
>>exists one record.
>
>Why would one want to indexes on the same set of columns? Or is this
>not
>what's happening?

No - this is not what happend. At least not in my example.

>>An example based on my previous post:
>>
>>First record: Primary index (column index:1)
>>Second record: JobId on the column JobId (column index:1)
>>Third record: JobId_2 on the column JobId (column index:1)
>>Fourth record: JobId_2 on the column PathId (column index:2)
>>Fifth record: JobId_2 on the column FilenameId (column index:3)
>>Sixth record: PathId on the column PathId (column index:1)
>>Seventh record: FilenameId on the column FilenameId (column index:1)
>
>And that is my question. Let's say the second and third record. Why
>does
>one want both of those? They appear to be both indexing the same
>column,
>right?

The second record belongs to the JobId index with one column and the
third record belongs to the index JobId_2 together with the fourth and
fifth record.

This depends on the application. At some point it makes sense to use
indices with a diffrent set of columns although a column is in more than
one index  because of the needs and the performance of the application.
Insert statements are slower with a large number of indices but select
statements are faster with clever indices.

>I have:
>
>mysql> show index from File;

In deed - you have to much indices. The indices JobId and file_jpf_idx
are exactly the same with diffrent names.

Please drop the indices file_jpf_idx and file_jobid_idx because these
two are from your first try to resolve your problem (drop index
<indexname> on File;). After that you should repair the table File
(repair table File;).

At this point it would be a good idea to stop the mysql daemon und use
myisamchk to renew the index on the table File. cd into your bacula
database directory (eg. /var/lib/mysql/bacula) and run myisamchk -r
File.MYI or do it for all tables in the database (myisamchk -r *.MYI).

Cheers, Primus.