Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TLS Question

2008-08-18 16:18:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TLS Question
From: Landon Fuller <landonf AT bikemonkey DOT org>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:18:12 -0700

On Aug 18, 2008, at 8:15 AM, Dan Langille wrote:

That's not what I said. A server needs a server certificate; a client
*may* need a client certificate. The director needs both, because it acts both as a server (accepting bconsole connections) and as a client (connecting and authenticating to the FDs and to the SDs). The FDs also act both as servers (accepting director connections) and clients (connecting to the
SDs) but they authenticate to the SD through a mechanism that doesn't
require them to present a client certificate.

Are you sure that the Director needs both a client and a server
certificate?  My Director has only one. A server certificate.

And, FWIW, I use only Server certificates for my TLS. I use them on the SD, the FD, and the Director. I do not use Client certificates, AFAIK.

It depends on how you're generating your certificates:
        http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/tech-notes/tn3.html

The extended key usage field can be used to specify that a certificate may be used for client auth, server auth, or both.

-landonf