Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8, dbcheck never completes

2008-08-18 17:23:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula 2.2.8, dbcheck never completes
From: Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:23:29 +0200 (CEST)
>>The second record belongs to the JobId index with one column and the
>>third record belongs to the index JobId_2 together with the fourth and
>>fifth record.
>
>Ah! So that index is really an index with three different columns that
>shows up in that form, and was probably generated by a command that had
>JobId,PathId,FilenameId in it. Finally makes sense. For whatever
>reason,
>it was never clear to me before.

Exactly.

>>This depends on the application. At some point it makes sense to use
>>indices with a diffrent set of columns although a column is in more
>>than
>>one index because of the needs and the performance of the application.
>>Insert statements are slower with a large number of indices but select
>>statements are faster with clever indices.
>>
>>>I have:
>>>
>>>mysql> show index from File;
>>
>>In deed - you have to much indices. The indices JobId and file_jpf_idx
>>are exactly the same with diffrent names.
>
>I'm assuming one clue to this, beyond the column names, is the same
>exact values for Cardinality? This is what gave me pause initially.

Cardinality is a guess of how much unique values the index contains.
Key_name, Seq_in_index and Column_name give me the answer.

>It seems like at that point, I will also want to create an index like
>the second record you have listed above, as I will be missing that one
>in my database.

I wouldn't do because I guess you are using a newer version of bacula
and it's not necesseray any more. Give it a try without this index. I
assume that from your mysql output show index ...

>>At this point it would be a good idea to stop the mysql daemon und use
>>myisamchk to renew the index on the table File. cd into your bacula
>>database directory (eg. /var/lib/mysql/bacula) and run myisamchk -r
>>File.MYI or do it for all tables in the database (myisamchk -r *.MYI).
>
>OK, I will go with that recommendation. I'm assuming that will do
>something akin to fragmenting the table? Or a reorganizing I guess.

Reorganization of the table and indices and is similar to the command
repair table but is executed outside and without a running mysql.

Cheers, Primus.