BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommend add to manual

2017-05-14 09:56:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommend add to manual
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: bobkatz AT digido DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 08:55:48 -0500
On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Robert Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com> wrote:
> Hi guys. I was about to bind a second mount for my convenience in fstab
> for topdir. I then read man bind and learned about the danger of using
> bind because backup programs that access directories by name would
> therefore backup the same material twice! Unless you put an exclude in the
> rsync directive. Then it just gets unnecessarily complicated.
>
> So Richard is not only right that a symbolic link for topdir is a good
> idea, but it is also the ONLY thing to do if someone wants to access the
> backup media through a name that he's used to.
>
> So I recommend a note in the manual or in the config.pl about this.

I always thought the best approach was to mount your media in the
place where backuppc expects it _before_ installing the package so
that ownership and selinux contexts are set correctly during the
package install.   Does that work through symlinks?   Maybe you could
make the symlink the other direction if you want to call it some other
name.