BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Conquering Thecus access as a client with rsync

2017-05-14 11:46:49
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Conquering Thecus access as a client with rsync
From: "Robert Katz" <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 12:46:17 -0300
Public/private keys are tough enough for me to understand. I'm hoping
there is a way to set up rsync on the server to use a tough client without
a password using tasks defined in rsyncd.conf.

The tough client is a Thecus NAS which is pretty sandboxed. I love it,
though, cause it requires minimal configuration and it's served me as a
server for a long time. This is my test client so I can start getting
backuppc going on my new Fedora machine.

On the Thecus there is a way to do public/private keys but I haven't
mastered it. But I'm already running rsyncd for another purpose. And I
already have rsyncd.conf running and operating. So I could add the
backuppc server as a host to allow and add a task to the conf file and be
done.

What would I do on the server side to use that task?

I know how to launch rsync and call a task on the client daemon:

rsync [options] 192.168.0.213::Backup-Data-Folder /raid/data/

WHERE:
192.168.0.213 is the address of the client and Backup-Data-Folder is the
name of the task already defined in the client rsyncd.conf and /raid/data/
is the destination for the backup data.

So I've got the makings of how to do it, just need to know if anyone has
an idea to use rsync in this way on the server...