BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommend add to manual

2017-05-14 21:40:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommend add to manual
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 18:37:53 -0700
On 5/14/2017 6:55 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> I always thought the best approach was to mount your media in the
> place where backuppc expects it_before_  installing the package so
> that ownership and selinux contexts are set correctly during the
> package install.   Does that work through symlinks?   Maybe you could
> make the symlink the other direction if you want to call it some other
> name.

What if you have TWO drives you want to mount to /var/lib/backuppc? With
BackupPC 4, it's not unreasonable to swap your backup media every week
to an offsite location.

Just create the skeleton directory structure in the external media and
run restorecon once it's mounted.

Another thing one can do is move /etc/BackupPC to the external media and
mount that directory over /etc/BackupPC so that your settings follow
your media. This makes it easier to do bare-metal restores. Just install
a minimal OS and BackupPC, then mount your backup drive and you've got
all your settings ready to do the restore.

---