BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommend add to manual

2017-05-15 15:47:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Recommend add to manual
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:47:22 +0200
Hi,

Kenneth Porter wrote on 2017-05-14 18:37:53 -0700 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Recommend add to manual]:
> [...]
> What if you have TWO drives you want to mount to /var/lib/backuppc? With
> BackupPC 4, it's not unreasonable to swap your backup media every week
> to an offsite location.
>
> Just create the skeleton directory structure in the external media and
> run restorecon once it's mounted.
>
> Another thing one can do is move /etc/BackupPC to the external media and
> mount that directory over /etc/BackupPC so that your settings follow
> your media.

I'm not sure I like the idea of mounting over parts of /etc, but that might
be a matter of taste. Why not symlink /etc/BackupPC to /var/lib/backuppc/etc
(or wherever your backup drive is mounted)? That way, a failing mount would
lead to an unresolvable symlink rather than an empty directory (or worse, a
directory containing something outdated, though, come to think of it, you
could populate /etc/BackupPC with something appropriate, assuming there *is*
anything appropriate in such a case; I suspect in the absense of your backup
drive you'd want BackupPC *not* to start).

All of that said, do you *really* want different configurations for your
different external media? Isn't the point to have an *identical* configuration
and swap around media in order to have an off-site copy?

> This makes it easier to do bare-metal restores.

Well, yes, but you can just as well rsync /etc/BackupPC to
/var/lib/backuppc/etc (or whatever) to keep an up-to-date copy on your
external media. For a bare-metal restore, you'll need to setup whatever
you need anyway, i.e. bind-mount /etc/BackupPC or create a symlink or
copy over the contents or whatever. You might have a script on your backup
media which does this for you. You might even have a working BackupPC
installation on your backup media. Your script could copy/symlink/bind-mount
that into your new system, supposing it can't be run directly from the
external disc. Just some ideas that spring to mind ...

> Just install
> a minimal OS and BackupPC, then mount your backup drive and you've got
> all your settings ready to do the restore.

Installing BackupPC from a distribution package is probably a better choice,
agreed, as you get dependency resolution (a web server, for instance). Call
me paranoid, but if I'd go to the trouble of keeping off-site backups, I'd
keep a self-contained BackupPC installation on my backup media. I can *still*
install BackupPC on the native OS and use that, but I'm less dependent on
external resources.

And, as I wrote, "mount your backup drive" is really at least two mounts,
which doesn't sound that much easier than one mount and one softlink. From
my experience, I'd say it's important to *document* what needs to be done,
and, personally, I'd document it in the form of a shell script containing
the needed commands.

Regards,
Holger