BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: On/off again Internal Server Error 500

2011-11-17 01:07:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] *** GMX Spamverdacht *** Re: On/off again Internal Server Error 500
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 03:26:24 +0000
Hi

        Just to clean things out, as i see many times people saying that
they dont need swap in modern machines... and this "talk" might push
more people in to thinking about that (not that you are really saying
this)

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:44:43 -0400, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
wrote:
> >   Swap might keep the process from failing,
> war, but for the most part the days of swap are over.  I don't care how
> much RAM you have, if you have a swap file of 1GB residing on a single
> SATA spindle and you're actually using all 1GB, your system will be
> unusable *anyway*, so who cares if it crashed a little sooner?  (The

        Dont forget that swap is also "used" to extend the total
virtual memory of the machine... people that use java know this already,
but other apps also do it... many apps reserve memory for future use,
but arent really using it. That memory is wasted without swap, and
create "out of memory" errors when the machine just have a few MBs of
RAM used.

        Apps that require a lot of virtual memory, even if they only
use a few MBs, usually need swap files... sometime very big ones!

        Say you configure a java to use a max RAM of 4GB... it will
require that memory to exist, even it its just using a few hundred
MB. A 2GB of ram +2GB of swap will start the java, but a 2GB of
ram + 100MB of swap will not. the java app will not use really the
swap until it demands about 2GB. this is a stupid example, but
instead of one app put many apps requesting RAM and the example
and result is the same.

With a very small swap, you are "eating" real memory that will not
be used, but with swap, that "unallocated memory" is mapped to
swap. This way you are "using" swap and dont even put a real
byte on the disk. you dont lose performance, only gain as you
have more free RAM and can support more simultaneous process.

        many apps over-commit ram... almost all languages with
virtual  machines do this, mysql can be configure to reserve more
memory, apache, loading many modules and external process also
allocate a lot more ram that its really using. hey, i have
several chrome threads requesting  +- 800MB of ram, but only
using about 150... my firefox with MANY tabs open is requesting
3GB of ram and using about 2GB

        So some swap usage is normal for long live process, even
with many RAM, but even if the swap usage is zero, having some
swap already have the potential to free that same size of
memory on the machine.

        Swap sizing depends on what the machine will do, but
at least the same size as RAM or at least 2GB (whatever is
bigger) should be considered the minimum. A machine with
4GB of ram and 100MB of swap is wasting ram to save a
few GB of a (usually) giant, multi GB or TB HD

        Linux hides a little all this, but in solaris you
clearly see 2 swap usages in parallel, the real swap usage
and virtual memory swap usage.

        so... please dont shrink your swap too much, even
if you have enough RAM and dont see swap usage... it is
still useful!

higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a