BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500

2011-11-02 20:54:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:44:43 -0400
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 11/02/2011 11:25:26 AM:

> > I thought 1 GB would be enough? Or do I just need a larger swap
> file/partition?
>
> I'm sure there are systems running with less, but I like to use 4GB or
> more because the unused portion becomes filesystem cache and greatly
> reduces the disk seeks you need.

Les and I argue frequently about this.  I run a dozen backup servers with 512MB RAM, and they do *zero* swapping.  So if you're running out of RAM, it's not BackupPC's fault.  And I do not think that more RAM will help performance with human-sized backup servers.  I've even previously posted to the list the results of going from 512MB of RAM to 2GB of RAM.  My backups still took the exact same amount of time to complete.

Caching the filesystem is *vitally* important for performance.  But that can be done in a very small amount of RAM.  Assuming a single file entry requires 100 bytes (which seems very high to me), 300MB of RAM performing caching (which is what my backup severs usually average) will hold 3 *MILLION* files.

Now, if you're dealing with a pool in that neighborhood, then *yes*, have at least 1GB of RAM.  But for the rest of us, even 512MB of RAM is plenty.

Having said all of that, my use of 512MB of RAM dates back hardware limitations of the embedded-style motherboards I use for my backup servers.  If you're using a motherboard that accepts multiple DIMM's of reasonable density, spend the $50 and get 2 x 2GB DIMM's and eliminate that as a problem!  :)

(And another reason to have more RAM:  fsck of a large disk will require large amounts of RAM.  One of my 512MB backup servers with a 1.5TB or so pool on a 2TB EXT3 partition needed to run fsck.  It would crash without completing it until I upgraded to 2GB of RAM.  So don't be stubborn like me:  add more RAM!  :)  )

>   Swap might keep the process from
> failing, but if you use it regularly it will slow the system down
> drastically.

*Drastically*.  As in unusuably drastically.  Not to start a religious war, but for the most part the days of swap are over.  I don't care how much RAM you have, if you have a swap file of 1GB residing on a single SATA spindle and you're actually using all 1GB, your system will be unusable *anyway*, so who cares if it crashed a little sooner?  (The only exception would be for very long-running processes with a very slow memory leak:  it might keep your system up and running a little longer.  But it's certainly a case of papering over a bug, nothing more.)

>  One thing that does consume a lot of memory is using
> rsync backups of targets with a very large number of files, because
> the complete directory listing is sent first and held in memory as the
> files are checked.   You might want to set $Conf{MaxBackups} to 1 if
> it isn't already to limit concurrent runs.

While we're on that subject,, how many files are on the system that you're trying to back up?

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com