BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500

2011-11-02 11:27:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:25:26 -0500
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM, umiwangu
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> "Apache2 logs are usually found in /var/log/apache2"
>
> Carl, you were right. There are two main errors, and I think it's related to
> RAM.
>
> (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't create child process: 12: index.cgi
> (12)Cannot allocate memory: couldn't spawn child process:
> /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/index.cgi
>
> And then some other bits about the referrer.
>
> Does it sound like a RAM problem? This is Ubuntu 10.04 running on a fairly
> low-end machine (the only spare one we had). 2 GHz Celeron, 1 GB of RAM, just
> over 2 TB of hard drive space.
>

> Yes, you are out of RAM (and swap), but perhaps other processes are
> using it. Run 'top' and look for big numbers in the virt, res, and
> %mem columns.
>
> --------------------------
>
> Right now, the process with the highest percentage of memory is single
> digits. I'm not having the problem right now, it's usually just while backing
> up. When it happens again, I'll run top to see which one it is.
>
> I thought 1 GB would be enough? Or do I just need a larger swap
> file/partition?

I'm sure there are systems running with less, but I like to use 4GB or
more because the unused portion becomes filesystem cache and greatly
reduces the disk seeks you need.   Swap might keep the process from
failing, but if you use it regularly it will slow the system down
drastically.   One thing that does consume a lot of memory is using
rsync backups of targets with a very large number of files, because
the complete directory listing is sent first and held in memory as the
files are checked.   You might want to set $Conf{MaxBackups} to 1 if
it isn't already to limit concurrent runs.