BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500

2011-11-18 04:54:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 09:52:46 +0000
Hi
On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:04:34 -0800, umiwangu
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Is it possible that the machine doesn't have any swap file? I opened up
> System Monitor, and under Memory and Swap History, memory is generally
> running at 85% (640 Mb), and Swap says 0 bytes of 0 bytes...

        Its possible, but not recommended (even by the kernel guys,
the kernel need at least a few bytes of swap so that some functions
dont fail under memory pressure)

        confirm if you have or not swap by running in the command line:
swapon -s or free

> Should I create a swap file?

        Yes... if you can, add a partition swap, if not, just
dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=1024 to create a file
with 1GB (1024 blocks of 1MB) of size, format it with
mkswap /swapfile and add it to the fstab and do a swapon /swapfile

        Tune the size for what you want and your free space

        Good luck
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a