BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500

2011-11-03 03:55:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:53:26 +0100
>-----Original message-----
>   From: Timothy J Massey [tmassey AT obscorp DOT com]
>   Sent: den 3 november 2011 1:44
>     To: General list for user discussion,     questions and support
[backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net]
>Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] On/off again Internal Server Error 500
>
>Caching the filesystem is *vitally* important for performance.  But that
can be done in a very small amount of RAM.  Assuming a single file entry
requires 100 bytes (which seems very high to >me), 300MB of RAM performing
caching (which is what my backup severs usually average) will hold 3
*MILLION* files.

>Now, if you're dealing with a pool in that neighborhood, then *yes*, have
at least 1GB of RAM.  But for the rest of us, even 512MB of RAM is plenty.

So the below *would* warrant more RAM? Four GB RAM should be more than
enough. Correct?

"Pool is 1750.71GB comprising 4385533 files and 4369 directories (as of
2011-11-03 01:12),"

OTOH, I didn't see much performance improvement when I went from the
dual-xeon with 2 GB RAM and using ext3 to a quad-core with 4 GB RAM and
ext4. The disks were faster on the quad-core, but that's to be expected when
going from PATA-raids to SATA-raids I guess.

--
/Sorin