BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-17 15:08:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:06:33 -0500
On 05/17 02:05 , Timothy J Massey wrote:
> "lmirguet AT microworld DOT org" <lmirguet AT microworld DOT org> wrote on
> 05/17/2011
> 01:11:42 PM:
>
> > The interest of a NAS is that it provides a strong RAID system with
> > a lightweight Linux system on top - and this at a reasonable price.
>
> Yeah... No.  No it does not.  It provides *EXACTLY* the same RAID system
> that you can get with *any* old Linux system.

Probably not even as good as you can put together yourself.

My advice is to get a 3ware RAID card and whatever disks you like for it.
There's some sharp corners on the management interface; but at least it
*has* a management interface that's consistent and sensible compared to the
Dell crap I've had to suffer through (on the occasions I could get it to
work).

Admittedly I work on machines that are usually 1000+ miles away, so the
quality of the management interface is very important to me. However, if you
can't manage your devices, they aren't much good to you.

Also, the 3ware driver has been built into the kernel for years. Support is
very solid.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator