BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-18 08:06:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 07:04:31 -0500
On 05/18 02:45 , Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> But I was under the impression that for smaller systems one is better
> off with software RAID since with hardware RAID if your card dies then
> you may be stuck with a proprietary inaccessible RAID unless you can
> find another similar hardware RAID card...

There are always tradeoffs. :)
3ware cards aren't hard to come by. Administrator time is. (These of course
are relative statements and YMMV).

If you have the hardware within kicking range you have a different set of
problems than I do (most of my backuppc instances are effectively 'lights
out' operations).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator