BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-17 13:03:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: "Phil K." <phillip.kennedy AT yankeeairmuseum DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:02:00 -0400
I can say with a great deal of certainty what device you can avoid. The western digital sharespace line of NAS devices appear to have a bug in their NFS implimentation that prevents the filesystem from correctly handling hardlinks. I spent several weeks off and on trying to figure out how I screwed up my pool copy or my permissions before stumbling onto a thread about the WD media center boxes not handling hardlinks correctly due to a bug in the busybox nfs implimentation. Not sure if any other manf. Is using busybox, but it may be worth your time to investigate.

I've been happily running backuppc on a dlink dns-321 with only minor issues (RRDtool wants the nolock option for some reason). NFS has been quite stable and tweakable for oue use. In my experience, the limited CPU, Memory, and closed nature of a NAS make them an iffy choice to host backuppc, but an excellent place to host your pool. My site isn't much larger than yours, I think you'd be best served by dangling a NAS off of an NFS share and letting the server crunch numbers while the NAS holds the bits.
~Phil
--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9.

"lmirguet AT microworld DOT org" <lmirguet AT microworld DOT org> wrote:
Hello backuppc-users,

I would like to backup all the machines of my company (12 laptops, Windows/Mac/Linux) in a centralized way on a NAS device.
I like a lot BackupPC and if possible I would like to use it to run the backups.

Now comes the choice of the NAS... What NAS device would you recommend with a good ratio "performance / easy to install BackupPC on it" ?

The ideal situation would be a NAS with BackupPC pre-installed - or a NAS with some available BackupPC packages ready to deploy.
I looked at Synology / QNap / WD Sharespace but in each case the install of BackupPC seems tedious, and I'm not sure of the performances I will get on such devices...

Thanks for your advices and your help
---
Laurent